Sunday, April 29, 2007

My third baby....my Alto

My first car was an Alto LX...no, well my third baby was my car the Alto. When I first saw her at the showroom, I was smitten as were both my daughters. They said mamma, this has to be the one. We went for a test drive and such a smooth ride it was far from the Maruti 800 and also the Maruti Zen I had driven earlier. It was such a pleasure to be at the wheel. I decided then and there that she would be my very own.

I was very clear that as I had not driven any vehicle which had power steering, I did not need power steering at all. So home came my Alto LX. And what a proud driver I was. I was only particular that it should have the best music system possible. The speakers were also the best available at that time.

I used to clean her up myself after it was cleaned by the help, not satisfied with whoever cleaned it however well.

I had her for almost three years during which time there was a sea change in the traffic in Bangalore. The roads became very crowded and the roads too were not very good. I used to drive my husband's Ford Ikon too when he was travelling. This showed me what was lacking in my baby...a power steering which would have made life so much more comfortable for me to drive from office to courts and back and then home. Driving which was a pleasure started becoming a drudgery. The parking at my office too was becoming a pain literally within the limited space available (bumber to bumber parking). And I used to turn the steering wheel of my alto as if i were driving a truck to squeeze her within the space available for my parking. Sometimes, it used to be such an effort that I used to be tired by the time I took the lift and went to the office.

The difference between parking and driving the Ford and my Alto was too glaring and parking Ford within the available space was as smooth as a song. That was when I realised that it was time for my baby to go and she had to be replaced by another.

I being a Maruti aficionado, decided to go in for the new Swift ZXI. This is definitely a better, stronger and sturdier car and I enjoy driving it. I simply love the Swift but I miss my baby the Alto.

I think first cars are always special.

1 comment:

Whiterays said...

Hi Rama,

Thanks for your kind words. There is one more thing common among us - our brand of car. My first car is also an Alto LX which I bought in the year 2004. My baby still shines new and I love painting the town red in it. :)

Your blog is cool..