Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Nann(mm)a Bengaluru

I am suddenly in a nostalgic mood...remembering the city as it used to be and the state it is in now..



I love Nanna Bengaluru very much. Bangalore has always been home though I have stayed in Bombay too for sometime and visited quite a few cities. Nothing to beat the charm of Bangalore. Much as I might crib about my city, it is more out of love for the city.

Those were the days I remember as a toddler we used to walk through M G Road to Cubbon Park. It was another story that my mother or father carried me most of the walk. I still vividly remember collecting the May Flowers strewn on the roadside pavements. The traffic, compared to today used to be next to nil then. Going to Bal Bhavan and going on the toy train, eating popcorn. I have relived all that again with my daughters though we have not walked on MG Road to Cubbon Park.

We used to go upto the top step of the Vidhana Soudha and peer inside through the sliding shutters and look in wonder at the painted roof and the chandeliers. Now all one can do is look at the marvel from the pavement. Well, security.. I can go on and on about Bangalore. Here is something about Bangalore.
When I read this, Oh yeah, Bangalore is definitely the best city. The phenomenal growth of the city has attracted many. However, political uncertainty seems to be putting people off too, per industry reports.

Climatically too, the "pensioners paradise" was very pleasant with nobody complaining about the heat, and most middle class houses did not need a fan. Now it is hard to see houses without air conditioners.

There are a lot of issues that I would like to mention here which I am saving for subsequent separate posts.

Whatever one may say, no other city (Call it frog in the well syndrome and I dont care) can beat the beauty of Bangalore. Well, it still IS the Garden City and can remain one if we strive to atleast keep it this way.

Pic - Me

4 comments:

Balaji S Rajan said...

Rama,

I have been a great lover of your city Bangalore. My first impression was very good when I visited 25 years before. From then it has always been my favourite place. I have great memories of your city. I agree with you. I heard it has become very crowded and everyone is talking about the traffic. Probably when I visit India next time, I should plan to visit Bangalore, now that I have friends like you.

Vidyu said...

miss bangalore reading this :( yes..bangalore has it's own unique charm...

Rama said...

-- Balaji,

Yes, the city is no longer what it used to be. You are welcome here and you should visit us definitely when you come down to India :)

--Vidyu,

Can you believe it, I too miss Bangalore of the past though I love the Bangalore of today too:) Yes, it is a city with its unique charm

Anonymous said...

i remeber the days when i used to cycle my way to school in basvanagudi and think how the present days school goes can manage the same !!